Monday, January 26, 2009

Cod Liver Oil Coercion


John 16:8-11 (New International Version)
When he comes, he will convict the world of guilt in regard to sin and righteousness and judgment: in regard to sin, because men do not believe in me; in regard to righteousness, because I am going to the Father, where you can see me no longer; and in regard to judgment, because the prince of this world now stands condemned.

A woman bought a bottle of cod liver oil to give to her dog so he could have a healthier and shinier coat. Every morning, she pried the dog’s jaws open and forced the liquid down his throat. He struggled, but she persisted. He doesn’t know what’s good for him! she thought. Faithfully, each day she repeated the process.

One day, however, the bottle tipped over and she released her grip on the dog for just a moment to wipe up the mess. The dog sniffed at the fishy liquid and began lapping up what she had spilled. He actually loved the stuff. He had simply objected to being coerced!

Sometimes we use a similar method in telling others about Christ. Called buttonholing, it’s an intense, in-your-face kind of confrontation. While earnestly desiring to share the gospel, we may end up repelling people instead. In our sincere but overly enthusiastic attempt, we create resistance.

We are called to share the good news, but we are not responsible for someone’s acceptance or rejection of Christ. It’s not our job to try to convict someone of sin. That’s the Holy Spirit’s responsibility (John 16:8).
As you tell others of Christ’s sacrifice, be sensitive. Know when to slow down and let God and His Word do the convicting and drawing to Himself. — Cindy Hess Kasper

The Spirit’s role is to convict
The world of all their sin
So they will seek forgiveness and
Be cleansed and changed within. —Sper

The Spirit convicts so that Christ might cleanse.

Every Thursday, we gather as a group to go for Street E. I've learnt over time that sometimes forcing the gospel down someone's throat may be a turn-off to that person. What people is looking for is true love. When they see or experience God's love for themselves, then they will be drawn to the true and living God.

I need to change my approach in the way I deal with people around me. I need to remember that people are looking at my life first, to see if God's love is evident and demostrated in my life before they will be willing to open their hearts to the good news. I guess I have been really forceful many times, trying to win the debate or influence the mind rather than the heart. I realised that I need to touch the heart, before the person's soul will be touched.

May the Lord grant me the strength and love that I need to live and shine for Him.

Being a more 'mind' person rather than a 'heart' person has caused me to approach a matter in the wrong way. I know that only God can work in my life and I'm asking that He will make me more sensitive and someone who hears and feels with his heart and not only his head.

God is love and people should be seeing the glory and majesty of God. But so many times, it is us, Christians, who block and prevent people from coming to know the Lord. Forgive us.

No comments: