Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The Color Purple

For those using the liturgical colors of the season of advent: Whenever I
reflect upon the fact that purple is the color of Advent, I am reminded of
an historical story. When Louis the IV was a young boy growing up in France
the Royal family employed one of the best teachers in the land to instruct
him on the ways of royalty. When he arrived the first thing that he did was
to give the young prince a purple tunic. Your grace, he said, I cannot give
you orders, for I am but a commoner. How can a commoner command royalty. But
I give you this purple tunic. And every time I see you doing something
unbecoming of the royal prince, I am going to point to the purple and remind
you that that represents France. I will remind you that it is for that that
your countrymen died. I will not make my appeal to you, your Prince, I will
make my appeal to the purple.

Brett Blair, www.eSermons.com.

No comments: