Monday, November 19, 2007

1 Corinthians 1

I'm reading through the book of 1 Corinthians recently and will be reading one chapter a day, so decide to share one main point from each chapter as I proceed along this book and I hope this simple sharing will minister to you as you read this post.



The pictures above show Roger Federer, Thiery Henry and Tiger Woods, who are considered one of the best in their respective areas.

In this world, we are always looking for the most qualified person for a job. We are always on the lookout for the most talented person and we 'book' him. The smartest person is highly honoured. When we look for a team of people, we look for the best in terms of skills, talents and gifts.

Sadly, we have brought this attitude to church. We tend to judge others. We tend to choose only the best person to do certain things, and we deem others as unworthy. We favour the rich, famous, powerful, beautiful and talented and look down on the weak, poor, unknown, unlovable and untalented people. By focusing on the abilities and talents of the person, we are thinking like the world and not like God.

From past to present, God has never focus on choosing the most qualified or talented, He's simply looking for a man or woman who's willing to serve. He's looking for a humble person!


For you see your calling, brethren, that not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called.

But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to put to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to put to shame the things which are mighty; and the base things of the world and the things which are despised God has chosen, and the things which are not, to bring to nothing the things that are, that no flesh should glory in His presence.

1 Corinthians 1:26-29


It is said that God do not call the qualified, He qualifies the called.

As James 5:16 puts it 'Confess your trespasses to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much.' There is beauty in confessing sins, there is beauty in sharing experience.

Firstly, it helps others learn from my mistake. Secondly, it reminds myself of the mistakes and for me not to do it again. Thirdly, it helps others pray for me better after knowing my struggles and needs.

I would like to share one struggle in my life, and that is pride. I struggle with the sin of pride countless times and God has to break me down over and over again and remind me that I am nothing.

I remember there was one time I was at Adam Road and I boasted about how good I was, serving in the children ministry, the various activities we are having, how great the plans are, what's going to happen and stuff. It was all about ME!

After that, when I looked back, I'm disgusted by my pride. What a proud and boastful person I am! I can claim to be doing it for God's glory, but deep within, I'm snatching His glory. This is a pride hypocrite! I need to come back to God, confess my sins and ask Him to forgive me.

Even now, there are times when I struggle with pride. A sinful and proud thought enter my mind and I'm tempted to sin. At that moment, I need to catch the thought and say to myself, 'I'm doing this for God's glory, not mine.'

Please pray for me and with me that as I serve in Children Ministry, I would not be proud, I would not snatch God's glory, but I'll humble myself and depend on Him.

Pride hinders our effectiveness for God.
Looking to ourselves make our service for God futile.
Humility enhances our effectiveness for God.
Looking to God make our service for God fruitful.

No comments: