Friday, December 7, 2007

1 Corinthians 4


We are fools for Christ’s sake, but you are wise in Christ! We are weak, but you are strong! You are distinguished, but we are dishonored!

1 Corinthians 4:10


Consider the following conversations:

A: How's life?
B: Ok.

A: How's everything?
B: Good.

A: How have you been?
B: Fine.

A: Everything's ok?
B: Of course.

So often we are defensive about our personal life. People are constantly putting on a false front, a smile, a mask to hide the emptiness and pain in their hearts. People are afraid of showing their weakness to others and making themselves vulnerable. In a sense, we are fake, we are just pretending.

I personally believe that no one is so holy that he or she does not need God. I don't think anyone is so spiritual that he or she does not fall into sin or struggles. I don't think anyone is so strong that he or she is never weak.

From past till present, strong men have fallen. Even men of God, men of the faith have fallen, what makes us better than them? David fell to adultery and murder. Peter denied Jesus three times. Moses committed murder. Samson fell into sexual immorality.

People are tired of hypocrisy. People are disgusted by masks and false fronts. People are not looking for leaders who are high, mighty and strong. People have enough of others acting, smiling and pretending to be fine when things aren't going fine.

Our relationships are now superficial. We say hi and bye. We stick together in good times, but we are not there in tough times. We act so strong that others don't know how we feel or what we are going through.

We need to learn to be foolish, to be weak, to be vulnerable. We need humble leaders, humble servants. We need people who is willing to expose themselves, to show and share their sins and struggles with others. We need people who are willing to be fools for Christ, people who are willing to show their weak and needy side.

For myself, the musical have been a challenging time for me. There are discouraging times, times when I feel like giving up and throwing in the towel. There are times when I'm impatient and lose my cool. I'm actually weak. I'm easily discouraged.

Yet, I thank God for the people that God has brought alongside me to encourage me, people to support me. Each one of their help, though small or big, means so much to me. Their prayers, their sms, their act of service, their words of encouragement, their touch, their time, their gifts gave me the strength to continue.

As a tribe leader, I have failed in many areas. I haven't been the best tribal leader exactly and I probably have disappointed or failed some of my tribe members. I always treasure the time where we just open up and share our struggles and challenges. Those times when we see the weak side of others mean so much to me. It's at those times when you see who are your true friends, it's at those times when you see God work. Personally, God has always work when I'm weak, when I share my struggles, when I admit my weakness, when I tell others I can't do it.

Yet, I thank God for Oasis. This is been my pillar of strength and support. Each one have made an impact and difference in my life. The sms that you all sent, the times when we talked, the prayers made together, the outings, the photos, everything and everyone of you has brought joy and good memories to me.

I'll end with Oasis tribe verse:
Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

For God to give us rest, we need to come to Him. And coming to Him involves acknowledging our weakness and inability. It means humbling ourselves and saying that we cannot do it. It means making ourselves vulnerable. May God help us in this area.

Are you willing to be weak for Christ's sake?
Are you willing to be a fool for Christ?

Are you willing to make yourself vulnerable?

Are you willing to share your struggles with others?

No comments: